My journey back into the retail field during the holiday season is chugging right along. It’s been a steep learning curve, but luckily, I’m a smart cookie who takes easily to new situations 🙂 Some of the highlights so far:
- The people are great. I have wonderful co-workers and most of the associates are really fun people.
- The pace is really, really fast, and I love that. The days go really quickly.
- I like working a couple of days, having a day or two off, and having those days off be during the week. I get so much more done while the rest of you are at work. The only downside to that so far is that I’m a little disoriented when it comes to knowing what day it is.
- I’ve had to sit in with LP on an interview with two teenage girls who were caught stealing. That type of thing makes me so sad and since all I did was sit there and be the female witness, I just prayed for those girls that they would make better choices in the future and that God would look out for them and send someone to them to help them.
- I had to sit in on the termination of a seasonal person. Not awesome, and she didn’t seem to care. She probably did, and was just putting on an act. I felt bad for her and I’m glad I won’t have to do a ton of that in this role.
- I’m looking forward to really getting into the substantive part of my role after the holidays. There are a lot of opportunities there and since this is a brand new position I can pretty much do what I want with it.
- Our new store director is brilliant and YOUNG. She’s done a ton and is super competent. I look forward to where our store is going to go under her direction.
- Speaking of people being young, I could be the parent of many of our associates and I am older than some of the parents of our associates. Do with that what you will. I still look good.
- I need all new shoes. Flat shoes. I’m on my feet a lot, and so I’m constantly on the hunt for comfortable but cute shoes. I’m going to be doing some ordering from Aerosoles, and shopping for some Clarks, I think.
- My increased personal happiness at work has led to greater organization at home and less stress eating. Coincidence? I think not. I wasn’t miserable before by any means. I was fine, but now I’m happy. Almost everyone I’ve seen since I’ve started has independently used the word “lighter” to describe me. I wish they were referring to my girth, but I’m pretty sure it has more to do with my countenance.
- My fingernails are destroyed.
- I love being downtown for errands and I’m still able to get to the gym.
If you’re a local, please come visit me. If I’m not on the floor, ask for me and they’ll call me up from the offices. I’m having a great time and I’m thankful for the support I’ve gotten from friends from all over. Happy holidays!